Onion, a spice, herb as well as a home remedy. It is like other home spice, garlic, Ginger, Chili, Turmeric, Cumin, Coriander Seed etc. But most of us don’t know the use of it as medicine and health benefits of Onion. Let us discuss the various uses and its amazing health benefits one by one……………
Onion, its amazing Health benefits, and Various uses.
- Onions have antiseptic, antibiotic, antimicrobial and carminative properties which help to stay away from infections.
- Onions are rich in sulfur, fibers, potassium, calcium, vitamin B, vitamin C and they are low in fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
- It is an immediate cure for fever, common cold, cough, sore throat, allergies, etc. A mixture of onion juice and honey can cure these problems easily.
- A small piece of onion can work against side effects of fever if it is kept on the forehead.
- A small piece of onion, when inhaled, can stop or slow down the bleeding through the nose.
- To take an onion a day can cure insomnia or sleeping disorders. This will provide a good night’s sleep.
- Onions can improve the digestive system. For digestion problem, onions can cure by increasing the release of the digestion juices.
- Onions is an active spice to prevent cancers. It works against head, neck and colon cancers.
- If you want to protect yourself from osteoporosis and atherosclerosis, consume onions daily.
- Onions increase the insulin in the body and also treat diabetes by controlling the sugar levels in the blood.
- The bad cholesterol that causes heart problems can be burnt or removed if an onion is consumed daily. It can keep you away from the coronary diseases and preserves the good cholesterol.
- Onion juice is also used to cure ear and eye problems. This juice is used for infants as eye drops for clear vision.
- This is also used for toothaches and tooth decaying.
- It has rejuvenation properties on the body tissues.
- Nutrient biotin27%manganese16%copper16%vitamin B616%vitamin C15%fiber12%phosphorus11%potassium10%vitamin B18%folate8%
Onions can vary in size, shape, color, and flavor. The most common types are red, yellow and white onion. Flavors can vary from sweet and juicy with a mild flavor to sharp, spicy, and pungent, often depending on the season in which they are grown and consumed.
More Health Benefits Of Onions?
1. Fight Cancer
A study says red onions are very effective in destroying breast and colon cancer cells. These onions have a huge amount of quercetin and anthocyanin. These two compounds contribute to this characteristic. Onions activate the pathways which provoke the cancer cells and kill themselves. They create the unfavorable environment for cancer cells which inhibits their growth.
A survey also reports that people with the highest consumption of onions had the lowest cancer rates. As a preventative measure, you can have your burgers garnished with red onions.
2. Improve Heart Health
The flavonoids in red onions are helpful for heart health. It is also rich in organosulfur and can help prevent heart disease. According to one Argentine study, intake of the organosulfur compounds in onions can cut the risk of cardiovascular disease. Onions contain Thiosulfil which act as natural blood thinners and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
The quercetin in onions also has the power to fight heart disease. It offers both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties to promote heart health.
3. Increase good Cholesterol.
Onions can increase good cholesterol levels, and this ultimately benefits the heart. One report by the Cambridge University Press says the flavonoids in onions help to lower the levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol) for obese people.
It prevents the blood platelets from sticking to each other, which can lead to clotting and eventually, heart attacks. Onion can prevent high blood pressure, thereby averting heart danger.
4. Lower Blood Sugar Levels
One study has proven that onion extract can regularize blood sugar levels. The Sulfur compounds in onions (S-methyl cysteine) and quercetin have beneficial effects on blood sugar. However, Onions exhibited the positive effect only when taken along with metformin, the antidiabetic drug.
5. Healthy Digestion
The digestive benefits of onions are inulin, a fiber present in the vegetable. Inulin acts as a food for the beneficial bacteria in the intestines. Consuming this fiber helps the body to maintain good levels of healthy bacteria. onions also cut the risk of gastric ulcers.
Onions can prevent osteoporosis for aged people. As per Swiss researchers, a compound in white onions (called GPCS) can reduce bone loss.
As per Arthritis Foundation, quercetin in onions can inhibit the activity of leukotrienes, prostaglandins, and histamines (which cause inflammation). It is helpful in osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Onion intake also helps treat joint pains.
7. Inflammation And Allergies
It also treats allergies by preventing the cells from releasing histamine.
Cooking with onions can help open and clear your sinuses. And the antihistamine properties of quercetin can also reduce nasal congestion. Even eating a raw onion at night can help relieve congestion. The sulfur compounds in the onion break down the mucus.
8. better Immune System
Onions contain selenium which stimulates immune function.
Onions are also considered herbal medicine in many countries.It is used to treat cold and flu.
The anti-inflammatory properties of onions help improve asthma.
9. Promote Respiratory Health
The American study reports, patients with respiratory issues like asthma and allergic rhinitis can benefit from certain fruits and vegetables and onions are one of them.
The anti-inflammatory properties of onions help soothe respiratory ailments. If anybody is suffering from a respiratory illness, he can simply include onions in his diet (in addition to usual medication) for prompt relief. So, include onions in your daily dishes and other foods.
For more information please Read